Your Most Frequently Asked Questions? . . . Answered:
As we have been bombarded with questions from you enthusiastic but nervous carnival revelers and others, we are hoping to respond to as many questions and requests for information. The following are a few of the most frequently asked questions . . . and then some . . . !
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE EXPECTED AT THE WORKSHOPS?
Workshop-1. FTP / TDP - Introductory Latin Dance Workshop Programme:
- Introduction to Elements of Free-Style Dance Technique;
- Defining Free-Style Competition Structure & Presentation Format;
- Tutoring Elements - Rhythm & Timing - On-1 vs On-2 / Std. vs Int'l, Body Rhythm, Musicality - Level I;
- Partnering in Selected Latin Dance Styles & Rhythms I - Merengue, Bachata, Cha Cha & Rumba vs Latin 3-Step;
- Free-Style Lead & Follow Technique - Communication, Speed, Balance & Control - Level I.
Workshop-2. FTP / TDP - Ballroom & Club LATIN Dance Workshop Programme:
- Mentoring / Tutoring Tips and Techniques for Free-Style Competitions & Performances;
- Free-Style & Performance Partnering - Synchronization, Syncopation, Musicality, Tricks & Shines - Level II;
- Performance Partnering & Styling in Club Latin Dance Rhythms II - Salsa vs Mambo, Pachanga & Extended Rhythms;
- Mentoring / Tutoring Tips & Free-Style Lead & Follow Technique - Communication, Speed, Balance & Control - Level II.
Workshop-3. FTP / TDP - B&L Dance Workshop - Strategic Management & Assessment Programme:
- Performance Management for Stage Presentations & Competitions: Shared Experience & Expertise of All Participants;
- Advance Partnering Techniques - "How to avoid mishaps and mistakes!" . . . "Making every step & beat count";
- Performance Partnering & Styling in Selected Latin Dance Rhythms III - Selected Ballroom Latin Dance Styles & Rhythms;
- Administration & Management Tips - Organization, Student & Class Administrative & Management Tools, Resources & Systems.
- Introduction to the CREATIVE ARTS DEVELOPMENT & ADMINISTRATION (CADA) Programme.
Are these workshops for New or Experienced dancers?
Workshops are intended to be fast-paced and as outlined in the session briefing, it is not recommended for absolute beginners as tutors are required to cover a series of technical (technique) as well as newly choreographed pieces at each workshop.
Can I attend all the workshops on every class day?
Of Course (if you have the stamina) . . . and for challenging yourself you get a special package offer for both sessions . . . (See details on the FTP Registration Page).
Why are the workshops aimed at advance dancers and tutors?
A key objective of this training is to focus on high performance or advance dance technique and choreography that is true to the genre or dance style. This will enable dancers to perform and compete in a "Free-Style" dance and competitive environment and help to build confidence in music interpretation, musicality, rhythm management and styling.
I'm not ready to compete or teach . . . will I be able to keep up?
Of Course. Competition training begins with the skill, confidence and understanding of the field in which you expect to challenge. The basic training program focuses on these areas before focusing on competitive aspects at later stages of the program.
We believe that these elements will be crucial in getting dancers, tutors and competitors up to the levels of confidence and competence to guide students or themselves challenge Free-Style Dance Competitions in the format that will help dancers and competitors to compete at regional and international levels.
Will I be able to join if I miss the first or any workshop?
Each workshop session will focus on different aspects of the training program, so participants can attend any workshop and benefit from the training curriculum at that session.
Each workshop is however considered to be building blocks of the overall program, so having all the blocks in place will make the building or learning process easier and faster. Don't worry, the team will; help you to catch-up on anything you may have missed.
What is the benefit of this program to Tutors or Advance Dancers?
As previously discussed, we are hoping to register a group of experienced or sufficient teachable and tutor ready dancers who can be engaged in earning while doing what they love.
If that can be established within the sessions then the opportunity to achieving this goal may be presented sooner for those who are ready and able to embrace the challenge. The programme is nevertheless expected to benefit and work with those who may need some coaching and mentoring in their adaptation to the needs of this calling.
What is expected of participants who have the ability to excel?
Well, we are hoping that everyone will be able to excel, but more importantly, this is an initiation and assessment program of training that we are working to have successful participants upgraded to our DF-Level II (Performers / Competitors) & DF-III (Tutors / Administrators) with access to resources and support tools that are geared to helping them to establish entrepreneurial and income-generating opportunities as desired. For example:
- Tutor trainees are given access to Administrative and Management Training tools;
- Marketing Resources including their own Dance School Website;
- Student Marketing and Administration Support;
- The opportunity and possibility to manage special programs of the organization and more.
DF, FTP & TDP Tutor Training & Recruitment Workshops
Calling all Dance Tutors, Choreographers, Performers and Dance Enthusiasts to join our FAST-TRACK Performance (FTP) Workshops - This will be a series of Collaborative Workshops Sessions for sharing skills and experiences of participants towards the common development objectives. The Sessions will begin with an Orientation Session followed by Performance & Choreography Training Workshops in Ballroom & Club LATIN & Free-Style Dance Styles, Rhythms & Styling conducted by and for Tutors, Performers and dancers interested in advance dance techniques and performance choreography.
Workshop Sessions are generally fast-paced and recommended for participants with some experience, confidence and fairly advanced dance skills, or at least 2 years dance performance or tutoring expertise and experience. On completion of the workshop series, participants will be given the opportunity to join the Special Performance Teams, Tutor Training TDP & FTP Workshops for the chance to Compete, Perform &/or Tutor in upcoming Performances and Special Community Events and Training Programmes.
- The Workshop Series begin with the Orientation / Briefing & Assessment Workshop;
- Registration Package is TT$300 (US$45) monthly covering firstly, the weekly Workshop Sessions;
- In addition, participants will have the option for Free Coaching Attendance at any additional or Regular Weekly Class Session; OR
- Option to join the adjunct Cultural & Free-Style Dance-Fusion Workshops;
- Stage Performers Special Scholarship (Deferred Fees) Options available for interested participants.
Participants of the FTP / TDP Programmes will be assessed and provided the opportunity to participate at the various program levels (Focus Training, Performance & Tutor Teams, etc.) based on their experience, expertise, skills levels and their special interests.